Summer Course in Fashion Trends Investigation
Duration: 3 weeks
Start Date: July 2023
Schedule: Monday to Friday, from 9.30 a.m. to 3.00 p.m. + four afternoons from 3.30pm to 6.00pm
€3,150 (Enrolment fee €1,000 + tuition fee €2,150).
Find out more about our payment options and special conditions.
Fashion Trends Investigation is a three-week intensive Summer Course that leads students through the fascinating field of trends research.
Taught in the microcosm of creativity at the IED Campus and around Barcelona’s culture, design, and innovation hubs, this course teaches dynamic, hands-on approaches to observing, gathering, and working with the signals of change that form near-term future trends.
Resident educators and international guest lecturers with extensive experience in trends, design, and futures research introduce students to tested theories and methodologies during workshops, field trips, and tutorials. In addition, students will interact with designers, innovators, and cultural pioneers with diverse profiles and specialties during offline and online activities.
– To provide a holistic understanding of the art and science of trends research with a focus on the fashion industry.
– To accompany students on their learning journey of the linchpin theories, methods, and tools of trends research.
– To demonstrate how learning about trends helps spark ideas that inform, innovate, and inspire.
– To help students hone their curiosity, cultural awareness, and intuition.
– To promote a more sustainable approach to the industry and use of fashion trends.
The course uses a three-step process:
Scanning and gathering. Learners practice primary and secondary research techniques, observing the early signals of change.
Connecting and verifying. Empirical investigation exercises lead students to connect-the-dots between the information they have gathered while scanning.
Implementing and generating. As students formulate their final conclusions they experiment with various methods and mediums for presenting their work.
This dynamic summer course is for curious minds who want to explore the world of trends research and forecasting in the physical, digital and phygital space.
Learning trends research is a valuable skill. While the lens of our course is filteredthrough fashion, the actionable tools and tested methods taught are highly applicable for professionals in any industry.
Depending on each student’s profile, prior experience, and vision for the future, possible career positions on graduation include:
– Research and strategy positions in the futures/trends forecasting industry;
– Research support and informed design for the creative industries: whether your interests lie in the media arts, fashion, product design, events, retail, or others;
– Research and strategy positions for creative agencies specializing in branding, communication, storytelling, etc..
Christina is a consultant, educator, and researcher exploring dynamic ways to use the art and science of trends research as a learning tool. For the past fourteen years, she has been helping clients and students find value opportunities through qualitative primary and secondary research techniques.
Christina gathers and conveys insight and inspiration via tailor-made tours, visual reports, and bespoke training sessions.
Currently the Head of Research for the dynamic new consulting agency Mate House.
Christina has 25 years of experience in textile/surface design, fashion and textile history, fiber arts, and photography.
When she manages to get away from a screen, Christina indulges in slow, sustainable design and visual communication projects.
The educational planning for all IED Master courses is aligned with the criteria established by the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The IED Master program adopts a credit structure that follows the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). IED Master only awards its own private degrees.
Data Controller: Istituto Europeo Di Design S.L
Data Protection Officer: email@example.com
Purpose of data: The information collected on the website will only be used for the following purposes:
- Informing you about available courses
- Receive offers, promotions and exclusive events for me
Type of information that we collect (Legal Basis): Express consent.
Recipients: Istituto Europeo di Design will not transfer your personal information to third parties without your prior express consent.