Master in Interior Space Design Methodology
Based on a project culture and on our own innovative methodology, this Master course aims to produce professionals with the ability to innovate in the vast field that is space design. Different spaces and scales will be worked on in a multicultural context, ranging from the human side to urban aspects, focusing on the details and taking on a contemporary, cross-sector approach.
The Master in Interior Space Design Methodology draws on the importance of creative autonomy in the project design process, geared towards producing original solutions by inverting the usual procedure behind space design. This is done by limiting options to a single material but offering the incentive of technical innovation based on the student’s research.
The process culminates when the space designed is able to instantly transmit sensations and atmospheres from the moment the user interacts with the space and the material. The result is a space capable of combining authorship, concept and meaning.
The course gradually reveals the origin, essence and soul of things. It ventures deep into the core and the rigour of the raw materials that construct space, exploring and researching the power of materials in the quest for an architecture that can unveil the intrinsic nature of each one.
– To have greater contact with the professional world and acquire the necessary tools to tackle the heterogeneity and diversity of programmes and places encompassed within the field of interior design.
– To focus predominantly on research by learning a methodology and project process. The end result is not a goal in itself, but a vehicle for providing the student with the necessary knowledge and tools to handle any type of multidisciplinary project in the future. Students develop the ability to plan and understand the stages of the work process by alternating both aspects.
The course also draws on the students’ diverse backgrounds in order to further enhance the group’s knowledge.
The duality between the two worlds of method and practice harbours a system based on values: a manifesto of intentions and actions happening all at once to produce a singular learning methodology.
This manifesto envisages theoretical categories and action formats that have been empirically tested by IED and the course coordinator, Josep Ferrando, over the last ten years at two of the School’s centres: Barcelona and Rio de Janeiro.
Our manifesto seeks to express the principles and actions that guide a different way of seeing, thinking and expressing through architecture.
1- Know-how vs inspiration
2- Process vs results
3- System vs method
4- Efficiency vs accessory
5- Multi-scale vs mono-scale
6- Strict vs random
7- Experience vs object
8- Subtle vs explicit
This masters course is intended for professionals and students in various fields of space design:
– Architects, interior designers, permanent or pop-up public space designers, landscape designers.
– Urban furniture designers, atmosphere designers as creative art directors (in films, TV and advertising).
– Product designers (furniture systems, surfaces, sustainable and recycled indoor finishes).
– Design consultants, graphic designers, stage designers (in theatre and dance), exhibition and stand creators and assemblers.
– Fine arts professionals (sculptures, performances, installations, photography), events organisers and designers (fashion shows, corporate events, celebrations), and more.
Space designers have a variety of career options open to them. Students who complete the masters can steer their careers in different directions, including:
– Working as a design expert for architecture and interior design firms or multidisciplinary studios specialising in space design, landscape design, window displays, product design, stage design, or home, retail and urban furnishing.
– Becoming a designer for events, pop-up architecture, museum installations, fashion shows, exhibitions, stands, experiences, audiovisual communication, identity design or art director.
– Collaborating with design studios in every speciality and working on a team during the concept application stage, development and management of space design projects.
– Working in multidisciplinary teams to carry out permanent or pop-up residential and retail interior design projects under public or private initiatives.
– Working as a freelance designer and entrepreneur in any design speciality: product, interior design, furniture, etc.
Combines design and construction with his teaching activities.
He has taught classes in several universities since 1998. Some of these include the Escola Tècnica Superior d’Arquitectura de Barcelona (ETSAB), La Salle Engineering and Architecture School, the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC), Universidad Torcuato di Tella in Buenos Aires (UTDT), Istituto Europeo di Design, and the Eina School of Art and Design. He has also been a guest professor at Hochschule für Technik Zürich (HSZT) in Switzerland, and Escola da Cidade in Sao Paulo, Universidade Positivo (UNICENP) in Curitiba, and Universida de Federal do Paraná (UFPR), Brazil. He has given talks at various universities, including Harvard Graduate School of Design, Cornell University, Universidad de Palermo in Buenos Aires, the University of Illinois at Chicago, and at the International Union of Architects (IUA) conference in Tokyo. His work has been exhibited in several countries including the United States, Switzerland, Sweden,
Norway, and Portugal, and prestigious Architecture Galleries like Aedes Berlin and events like Biennale di Architettura in Venice.
The educational planning for all IED Master courses is aligned with the criteria established by the European Higher Education Area (EHEA). The IED Master program adopts a credit structure that follows the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS). IED Master only awards its own private degrees.
Other Related Courses
IED Barcelona collaborates with Doctors without Borders to design solutions for the mobility problems in CongoA team of students from the Undergraduate Degree in Product Design collaborated… More Info +
Los diseños de moda de los alumnos de Máster invaden el Manual Thinking StudioAlumnos del Máster en Design Management del IED de Barcelona… More Info +
DESIGNING FOR MERCATS DE BARCELONAStudents from the Undergraduate Degree in Graphic Design and Diploma in Creative Advertising… More Info +
Responsible: Istituto Europeo Di Design, S.L B-80813959
Purpose: The information collected on the website will only be used for the following purposes:
This is the basic purpose of the form
- This is the purpose that appears when brands that accept the legal conditions
- This is the purpose that appears when brands that accept to receive commercial information
Type of information we collect (Legitimization):
- Identifying data
- Academic and professional data
This information is necessary to carry out the purposes described in the previous section, otherwise we can not inform you, or process your registration or academic record.
Recipients of your data:
We inform you that your personal information access certain entities according to law regulations that require us to communicate your personal information.
Also, after your express consent, we would cede your data to entities that belong to the group to which Istituto Europeo di Design, SL belongs, and to those that may be of interest once the commercial relationship with you has been established, and may be consulted by assignees at the Istituto Europeo headquarters di Design, SL, with the sole purpose of informing you of our offers and services.
If you wish you have the right to access, rectify, cancel and oppose those treatments you do not want, for this you must send a letter to the address above or to the email address: email@example.com, attaching a photocopy of your DNI or NIE and indicating in the subject Data Protection.
If you need more information you can consult it here