Master in Knitting Design
The Masters in Knitwear Design introduces designers to the world of knitted fabric in all its varieties, from handmade to industrial production, encouraging innovation through experimental research and hands-on experience.
Designers get a taste of how to use knitting machines to see how each type of knitting is created, which thread to choose, the design effects they can achieve and the type of finishes and production needed to attain the best and most innovative results.
The course is an opportunity to explore and understand the link between different styles of knitting and contemporary global markets, trends and traditions so as to forge their own design philosophy and identity within this specific and challenging discipline.
To teach fashion designers all about the specificities of knitting and help them gain the technical insight they need to design and manage a collection.
– To show students how to work with a manual and industrial knitting machine to command all types of knitting and their design effects.
– To boost design creativity through an understanding of the possibilities of tricot in terms of volume, aesthetics and texture.
– To introduce manual knitting techniques along with other handling or application techniques such as patterns and embroidery.
– To experiment with the textures, materials, stitches and structures of knitting to create innovative results.
– To explore and work with every aspect of circular knitting.
– To fully understand the knitting technique and how to create structures, stitches, technical datasheets and produce a knitwear item complete with finishes.
– To introduce students to industrial projects from a technological focus to reveal the most industrial and innovative side of knitwear.
Graduates in the various disciplines linked to fashion design wishing to specialise in the world of Knitwear Design.
– Design companies and studios with multidiscipline teams.
– Freelance designers.
– Companies producing tricot or circular knitwear collections.
– Design advisors working for companies in the knitting sector.
Núria has a Bachelor of Arts with Honours in Fashion Design from the University of Southampton through the Escola d’Arts i Tècniques de la Moda in Barcelona, as well as boasting a Masters di Maglieria from Lineapiù in Florence, Italy. She has worked as a designer and collaborator on projects that range from stitching and industrial work to more creative handmade projects.
Other Related Courses
SMASHINGCONF 2017 AT IED BARCELONAThe third edition of the SmashingConfBarcelona will be celebrated from… More Info +
Business Design student's study the viability of a maritime transport service for the Port of BarcelonaStudents of IED Barcelona Advanced School of Design have designed… More Info +
Two IED Barcelona alumni won the Ecodesign award 2017Two projects by students from IED Barcelona have been awarded… More Info +