Summer Course in Experimental Jewellery Design
The jewellery object is currently evolving and now no longer has to represent a material value or solely an ornamental value.
Can a piece of jewellery have other functions? It is something that has to adapt itself to the body; it is a clothing accessory; it represents us or represents something that we want to be or want to communicate.
The Experimental Jewellery Design course provides students with a methodology of how to think, how to define, how to represent and how to materialise a new concept in the form of a piece of jewellery. The course employs specialised software to render a piece of jewellery and print it in 3D.
– To study the evolution of jewellery throughout history.
– To study current trends in various fields of fashion and product design.
– To work on different methodologies of design thinking.
– To analyse the various materials that will be used to make our piece of jewellery: fabric, cardboard, paper, plastic sheets, wood.
– To study volume and complex morphologies.
– To develop a comprehensive design process encompassing everything from research to prototyping.
– To study RhinoGold software so as to be able to complete a second project that can be printed in 3D.
The Experimental Jewellery Design course is divided into two parts:
– The first two weeks focus on the design process. Various methodologies are developed to identify good ideas and how to transform these into a specific project related to the world of jewellery. Various materials are suggested (fabric, plastic, wood, etc.). The design process involves providing a new twist to the function of a piece of jewellery. A brief is proposed that is related to a specific institution, character or space and a piece of jewellery is designed for an external person.
– RhinoGold software is introduced in the last two weeks in order to make a digital ring and be able to print it in 3D. Following the methodology used in the first two weeks to define new concepts, the idea in this case is to make a ring that can be produced by a 3D printer. Various classes will be given with the RhinoGold program in order to produce a file that can be used by a 3D printer.
The course is aimed at both design students and graduates, or professionals who want to undergo a new training experience in which they can put their creative skills into practice within the world of jewellery.
A CV and cover letter will be required for registration. If any one of the admission requirements is not met, the school will evaluate each case individually, reserving the right to call the applicant in to the school for a personal interview.
Certified designer and facilitator of LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®, trained by Robert Rasmussen, one of the creators of this methodology. Degree in Graphic Design from the University of Buenos Aires. After ten years working on major corporate identity and editorial design projects, curiosity led her to work in the world of fashion as a designer of accessories. In 2002, she moved to Barcelona, where she combines the design of her own contemporary jewellery collections with teaching at the Istituto Europeo di Design and Pompeu Fabra University. She was the Academic Director of IED Master Barcelona for several years and currently manages the school’s academic innovation projects as well as teaching classes.
Artistic studies. She worked for several years as a costume designer for Italian television while at the same time dedicating herself to designing and producing her own fashion collections. She approaches the world of jewellery by creating costume jewellery. She later trained as a jewellery designer at the Le Arti Orafe Jewellery School in Florence, Italy. For the past nine years, she has been living in Barcelona and has her own workshop.
Other Related Courses
IED Barcelona collaborates with Doctors without Borders to design solutions for the mobility problems in CongoA team of students from the Undergraduate Degree in Product Design collaborated… More Info +
IED students win 3rd prize in the Roca One Day Design ChallengeA team of students from IED Barcelona has won third… More Info +
HERNÁN ORDOÑEZ & JOSEP FERRANDO AT TRIMARCHI 2017IED Barcelona will be back to take part in the… More Info +